Oxygen fugacity can be a challenging concept, so I have provided some additional materials to work through for those that are interested. They are based on a course on oxygen fugacity that I developed, and include both lecture material and self-guided practical exercises.
Catherine McCammon, Bayerisches Geoinstitut, Universität Bayreuth, Germany
Part I [|slides]
3. Controlling oxygen fugacity at 1 bar
Part II [|slides]
4. Controlling oxygen fugacity at high pressure
5. Measuring oxygen fugacity: experiment
6. Measuring oxygen fugacity: nature
Part I [|instructions]
1. Glass synthesis under different fO2 conditions
2. Gas mixing experiment
3. Oxygen buffers for high pressure experiments and relative fO2
4. Further problems to explore at your leisure
Part II [|instructions]
5. Oxygen barometry and Fe3+/ΣFe in melts/glasses
6. Oxygen barometry and Fe3+/ΣFe in spinel peridotite
7. Oxygen barometry and Fe3+/ΣFe in garnet peridotite
The Excel template for both parts of the practical exercises is [|here].
Anderson, GM (2005) Thermodynamics of Natural Systems, 2nd edition. Cambridge University Press.
- Chap 8: Fugacity and activity, pp. 198-233
- Chap 12: Redox reactions, pp. 335-365
Edgar, AE (1973) Experimental Petrology: Basic Principles and Techniques. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Chap. 4: Experiments at atmospheric pressure, pp. 87-93
- Chap. 8: Control of partial pressures of volatile components at high total pressures, pp. 170-189
Lindsley, DH (1991) Oxide Minerals: Petrologic and Magnetic Significance. Mineralogical Society of America, Reviews in Mineralogy, Vol. 25.
- Chap 1: BR Frost Introduction to oxygen fugacity and its petrologic importance, pp. 1-9
- Chap 11: BJ Wood Oxygen barometery of spinel peridotites, pp. 417-431
Luth, RW (1993) Experiments at High Pressure and Applications to the Earth's Mantle. Mineralogical Association of Canada, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Chap 2.5: RW Luth Control of oxidation state, pp. 26-31
MacPherson, GJ (2008) Oxygen in the Solar System. Mineralogical Society of America, Reviews in Mineralogy, Vol. 68.
- Chap 19: CDK Herd Basalts as probes of planetary interior redox state, pp. 527-553
Ulmer, GC (1971) Research Techniques for High Pressure and High Temperature. Springer, Berlin.
- Chap 2: RH Nafziger, GC Ulmer & E Woermann Gaseous buffering for the control of oxygen fugacity at one atmosphere, pp. 9-41
- Chap 3: M Sato Electrochemical measurements and control of oxygen fugacity and other gaseous fugacities with solid electrolyte sensors, pp. 43-99
Ulmer, GC and Barnes, HL (1987) Hydrothermal Experimental Techniques. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Chap 2: JS Huebner Use of gas mixtures at low pressure to specify oxygen and other fugacities of furnace atmospheres, pp. 20-60
- Chap 3: I-M Chou Oxygen buffers and hydrogen sensor techniques at elevated pressures and temperatures, pp. 61-99